Skip to main content

Friends with a Smoker & Potato Casserole, Mmmmm

Let's be clear, I'm not referring to friends who smoke. Rather, being friends with a couple who have their very own outdoor bbq smoker! To a culinary school kid with tools of a commercial kitchen no longer at my disposal, this news was like a dream come true. Two of of my boyfriend's closest friends, Brian and Rebecca (aka The Nunos) are many things: variety beer lovers, friendly cooks and an open house type of couple. They enjoy cooking, especially large pieces of meat they couldn't possibly eat alone. So, they also engage heavily in sharing with others. Enter the boyfriend and I...out for a little drink and music last Friday night (thanks to another friend, Chris H's guitar & singing skills for the entertainment) we started talking about food and that turned into a dinner invite. Sunday evening, smoked turkey and beef brisket. The Nuno's said they would have more than they could eat and wanted to share. Yes, please!?!

With a few bottles of beer as our gift in return, we showed up and ate up. The star food: a nearly 20 pound turkey brined the night before, then in the smoker at 8 am and came out around 5 pm. It was juicy, tender & so very flavorful, everything you hope turkey to be but so often is not. Also on the smoker, a 7lb beef brisket in Brian's own dry bbq rub was equally smokily delicious. To boot they had all the fixings for a serious family feast and nearly all made from scratch: stuffing, mashed potatoes, fresh baked bread, sweet potatoes (oh good midwest sweet potatoes, how delicious you are) and gravy. It was amazing. I am beginning to think of Rebecca as some super-woman. She bakes bread, keeps a beautiful home, works out at 5 am (yeah, I know!) and still manages to have regular girl nights, support her Spartan's team and learn to quilt. Yes, quilt. She just finished her biggest project to-date and I was amazed, a beautiful pink bed spread for her niece. To say I've been inspired would be quite accurate...I love people like that!

OK, I'll stop droning on and on about them and the amazing food! My place currently smells of sweet, slow cooked onions. I've been attempting to caramelize them based on a few recipes I read, but without use of butter, which most call for. We shall see how it goes. Until then, check out the tasty potato casserole I made from a recipe off Smitten Kitchen (thanks for reminding me of this great site Karen :). I didn't use butter like she does, substituting Earth Balance instead but it still received rave reviews from the boy, served with none-other than a real classic: meatloaf (with extra veggies of course!). Enjoy  -l.v.

Crispy Potato Casserole, my version below or check out the one I copied from on Smitten Kitchen
**Warning, this takes like...over 2 hours (seriously!) but largely unattended. So plan accordingly :)
3 tbl EarthBalance, melted
3 tbl extra virgin olive oil
course salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 or 5 potatoes
3 or 4 shallots
5-6 springs fresh thyme
Garnish: pancetta or bacon (mine has neither, would have been amazing)

1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Peel the potatoes and slice them as thin as you can (knife or a mandoline). Do the same with the shallots.
3. Combine the melted earth balance with olive oil and pour a little less than half in the bottom of a baking dish. Sprinkle with about half of the salt, crushed red pepper flakes and garlic powder.
4. Arrange the potatoes in the dish, like the picture shows, so the rows are standing up. Then slide the shallots in between the potato slices.
5. Brush the tops with the rest of the earthbalance/oil mix and sprinkle generously with salt and a bit more of the crushed red pepper and garlic powder.
6. Bake for  1 1/4 hrs, then top with the thyme and cook another 35 minutes or until cooked through and crispy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quinoa - My Favorite Grain

I first discovered Quinoa (pronounced keenwa) on a detox diet 4 years ago. It was listed in the breakfast portion of the strict menu I was to follow intended boost my immune system. Before this point, I had never heard of it or knew it existed! I found the grain at a local health food store along with some of the other obscure foods I needed. I cooked it up very simple, just like you would oatmeal and ate it with a little salt & usually peas (yes, veggies for breakfast!), every 5 days. Over the years I have continued to go back to the staple whenever I feel I am faltering from a healthy diet. It'is such an easy, healthy alternative to traditional hot cereal and it's gluten free! However, I'm frequently criticized for the bland foods I eat for breakfast. It's not uncommon to see me with a hot bowl of grains and steamed veggies, both seasoned without anything more than sea salt. I swear, I really enjoy it! But, when my coworkers decided we were going to have

Yes, I went to Culinary School. No I am not a Chef.

I am passionate about cooking, local food and all things related to the category of eating. In support of small farmers and local produce, a deep love for all the seasons of the year and fresh ingredients, delicious at their peak. I crave a long morning, afternoon, or even all day, spent in the kitchen; whether alone or with company of friends, family or strangers. I followed this passion toward a career when I hit that quarter life crisis – the period where 20 something’s realize working for a living really is not easy & life before this phase didn’t have as many responsibilities as we thought (why didn’t I listen to that advice at the time??). Anyway, when I struggled in my “full-time” office career, I dropped it all to pursue a love life with food and cooking. I let go of the reliability of my job and took out a loan and a leap of faith on somewhat pricey, long term cooking lessons known as a formal Culinary Education. I loved it! The stress of the kitchen, 35 hours of clas

Real Fruit, Year Round

I happened to read my daily email from RealAge .com today and the article indicated eating fresh berries year round is important to your health (cancer fighting properties...could have guessed that one right?). How does that happen if you live in the Pacific Northwest, where cold temps and rain inhibit our ability to grow these treats in 8 of 12 months of the year? Freeze-dried berries happen to be right up there in nutritional content as fresh! Amazing! Yes, some nutrients are lost in the process, but the dried version will last over a year...now try getting that out of a fresh berry! The company JustTomatoes , sells all varieties of preserved fruit, without the added sugars you find in most grocery store products. Or, head to the Farmer's Market for a local and high quality product. Many farmers preserve a portion of their harvest to sell year round and keep profits up during their off season. Now I just need to get a freeze drying machine of my own! OK, back to my school