Skip to main content

New Cookbooks=Inspiration

I am the proud new owner of 4, yes 4, shiny new cookbooks. Each is signed by the author, which I love. I have a small obsession with signed cookbooks, can hardly resist a purchase when the author is near to place their personal message to me on the title page. It's enough instant excitement to cause nervous chatter or lack thereof on my part.

As I sit at the kitchen table tonight, trying to nail down a great dessert recipe for my C.O.D. (final culinary school project) I'm reading snippets from "The Gluten-Free Girl and The Chef", loving the personal stories she shares. Love "grocery shopping as foreplay"...as I have to agreee...picking out the evening's dinner is fabulously fun and romantic for food minded people. While I love going alone because I can peruse the aisles for hours (as I often do), shopping with another person you're going to cook for brings the excitement to a different level. It's fun to see what people notice and be influenced by another opinion...sometimes. Glad GF Girl and I can share that idea ;)

So, how did I end up with this new addition to my collection? Kim Ricketts Book Events...last night 6 "recently" published authors gathered to discuss their new books and talk about food and eat food...and drink wine too. They shared personal stories, read from their respective books and swooned a room full of food lovers, hungry for anything gastronomically related. It was fabulous!
The new books (in addition to the above) include: Doughnuts-Simple and Delicious Recipes to Make at Home, Urban Pantry-Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable & Seasonal Kitchen, and Northwest Essentials-Cooking with Ingredients that Define a Region's Cuisine.
Now back to the study session...err, menu planning. Apple Tart, Almond Crust, with...
-l.v.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quinoa - My Favorite Grain

I first discovered Quinoa (pronounced keenwa) on a detox diet 4 years ago. It was listed in the breakfast portion of the strict menu I was to follow intended boost my immune system. Before this point, I had never heard of it or knew it existed! I found the grain at a local health food store along with some of the other obscure foods I needed. I cooked it up very simple, just like you would oatmeal and ate it with a little salt & usually peas (yes, veggies for breakfast!), every 5 days. Over the years I have continued to go back to the staple whenever I feel I am faltering from a healthy diet. It'is such an easy, healthy alternative to traditional hot cereal and it's gluten free! However, I'm frequently criticized for the bland foods I eat for breakfast. It's not uncommon to see me with a hot bowl of grains and steamed veggies, both seasoned without anything more than sea salt. I swear, I really enjoy it! But, when my coworkers decided we were going to have

Yes, I went to Culinary School. No I am not a Chef.

I am passionate about cooking, local food and all things related to the category of eating. In support of small farmers and local produce, a deep love for all the seasons of the year and fresh ingredients, delicious at their peak. I crave a long morning, afternoon, or even all day, spent in the kitchen; whether alone or with company of friends, family or strangers. I followed this passion toward a career when I hit that quarter life crisis – the period where 20 something’s realize working for a living really is not easy & life before this phase didn’t have as many responsibilities as we thought (why didn’t I listen to that advice at the time??). Anyway, when I struggled in my “full-time” office career, I dropped it all to pursue a love life with food and cooking. I let go of the reliability of my job and took out a loan and a leap of faith on somewhat pricey, long term cooking lessons known as a formal Culinary Education. I loved it! The stress of the kitchen, 35 hours of clas

Real Fruit, Year Round

I happened to read my daily email from RealAge .com today and the article indicated eating fresh berries year round is important to your health (cancer fighting properties...could have guessed that one right?). How does that happen if you live in the Pacific Northwest, where cold temps and rain inhibit our ability to grow these treats in 8 of 12 months of the year? Freeze-dried berries happen to be right up there in nutritional content as fresh! Amazing! Yes, some nutrients are lost in the process, but the dried version will last over a year...now try getting that out of a fresh berry! The company JustTomatoes , sells all varieties of preserved fruit, without the added sugars you find in most grocery store products. Or, head to the Farmer's Market for a local and high quality product. Many farmers preserve a portion of their harvest to sell year round and keep profits up during their off season. Now I just need to get a freeze drying machine of my own! OK, back to my school