Skip to main content

Settling In

It's been a while since the last posting...and a busy four months! I moved! Yes, relocated myself from Seattle, WA back to outskirts of Detroit, MI.  Shocking to see that shift with so many people are choosing to leave here that I came back. Well, I have a father and a boyfriend living here and it seemed like a good time to make the change. I left two of my best friends in Seattle, which is only proving more difficult today than yesterday. I miss them like crazy. Coming home to people who know you so well and you've lived with for so long, is not something easily replaced. Sure, we've had a week or two apart here or there, even a year of living in different states when we first felt the need to find some independence. But the last 5 years were spent developing relationships and lifelong partnerships with two women whom I feel blessed to have in my life. Now we live 2,300 miles apart. That distance does hurt.

The need to feel a sense of home and comfort is strong. Seeing my Dad is definitely good for that. I can tell we both needed each other...my need may even be stronger than his. And a boyfriend who's as sweet as can be isn't a bad deal either. He's supportive and nurturing. The kind of guy that makes me think, aww, how sweet you are. haha. But, nothing beats living with two girlfriends. So last night, I made dinner for the boy and myself. We had a comforting meal, Whole Roasted Chicken and Root Vegetables, Apple Crisp for dessert. Slow cooked meats are my comfort foods, the flavors that bring me back to the many meals I shared with the ladies in hopes of sealing another evening of memories in our minds. Cooking for others brings me so much happiness, it creates a feeling of accomplishment I don't find elsewhere. While I miss cooking for the girls (they're really great for my chef ego!) I'll try to find the same joy in cooking for the guy in my life. Whenever they visit though...they come first! Can't wait for that ;)
Here's a recipe for deliciously moist roasted chicken and vegetables. If you don't have enough people in your household to finish the whole chicken hot (I certainly do not) then make some chicken salad! Enjoy ;) -l.v.

Perfect Roast Chicken with Vegetables (adapted from Amy Pennington's book "Urban Pantry")
1 Whole Chicken, 4-5 lbs, patted dry
Salt & Pepper, to taste
3 Large Carrots, peeled and large dice
3 Celery stalks, large dice
1 Onion, large dice
3 Potatoes, peeled and large dice
2 Tbl Olive Oil
1 cup White Wine, optional (I only used it because we had an open bottle in the fridge!)
2-4 cups of water
Rosemary, Thyme and Sage, fresh sprigs if you've got them, perfect flavors with chicken!


1. Preheat the oven to 475F. Starting high will ensure a crispy skin.
2. Salt and pepper the chicken, using more salt than you think! and let it sit for 20-30 minutes
3. In a deep sided pan (I used my dutch oven or a roasting pan if you've got one, the veg acts as my base) toss the vegetables with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Add white wine and water, just enough to mostly cover the vegetables. It will create a delicious broth you can use later or spoon over the chicken when reheating to prevent loss of moisture in the chicken.
4. Place the chicken on top and nestle the herbs around the bird and into the vegetables.
5. Put the whole thing, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Then, without opening the oven, turn the heat down to 375F and cook for another 30-45 minutes. Check the temperature for 165F at the thickest part of the thigh.
6. Remove the pan from the oven and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve with the vegetables, some drippings and along side a salad if you want some fresh greens.
Pick any leftover meat off the chicken for sandwiches or salads throughout the week. Save the bones to make an economical stock the following day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quinoa - My Favorite Grain

I first discovered Quinoa (pronounced keenwa) on a detox diet 4 years ago. It was listed in the breakfast portion of the strict menu I was to follow intended boost my immune system. Before this point, I had never heard of it or knew it existed! I found the grain at a local health food store along with some of the other obscure foods I needed. I cooked it up very simple, just like you would oatmeal and ate it with a little salt & usually peas (yes, veggies for breakfast!), every 5 days. Over the years I have continued to go back to the staple whenever I feel I am faltering from a healthy diet. It'is such an easy, healthy alternative to traditional hot cereal and it's gluten free! However, I'm frequently criticized for the bland foods I eat for breakfast. It's not uncommon to see me with a hot bowl of grains and steamed veggies, both seasoned without anything more than sea salt. I swear, I really enjoy it! But, when my coworkers decided we were going to have

Yes, I went to Culinary School. No I am not a Chef.

I am passionate about cooking, local food and all things related to the category of eating. In support of small farmers and local produce, a deep love for all the seasons of the year and fresh ingredients, delicious at their peak. I crave a long morning, afternoon, or even all day, spent in the kitchen; whether alone or with company of friends, family or strangers. I followed this passion toward a career when I hit that quarter life crisis – the period where 20 something’s realize working for a living really is not easy & life before this phase didn’t have as many responsibilities as we thought (why didn’t I listen to that advice at the time??). Anyway, when I struggled in my “full-time” office career, I dropped it all to pursue a love life with food and cooking. I let go of the reliability of my job and took out a loan and a leap of faith on somewhat pricey, long term cooking lessons known as a formal Culinary Education. I loved it! The stress of the kitchen, 35 hours of clas

Real Fruit, Year Round

I happened to read my daily email from RealAge .com today and the article indicated eating fresh berries year round is important to your health (cancer fighting properties...could have guessed that one right?). How does that happen if you live in the Pacific Northwest, where cold temps and rain inhibit our ability to grow these treats in 8 of 12 months of the year? Freeze-dried berries happen to be right up there in nutritional content as fresh! Amazing! Yes, some nutrients are lost in the process, but the dried version will last over a year...now try getting that out of a fresh berry! The company JustTomatoes , sells all varieties of preserved fruit, without the added sugars you find in most grocery store products. Or, head to the Farmer's Market for a local and high quality product. Many farmers preserve a portion of their harvest to sell year round and keep profits up during their off season. Now I just need to get a freeze drying machine of my own! OK, back to my school